Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mom Made Over








I am sure that by now everyone has also been following Whit's Australian Adventure blog. Over the last couple of years, Whitney has had quite the life, jetting off to Jamaica, Australia, and New Zealand all in the name of "school"! Normally, I would be the one taking the credit for "raising her right" and the fact that she is turning into this incredibly independent and amazing young woman. But the more I see, the more I am reminded of Mom. Sometimes, it's just a mannerism and sometimes it's a picture. I just know that every single day, she gets to be more like the parts of our mom that I would love to hold onto forever.

Our mom never knew a stranger in her life. She would walk up to a random person in a store, and give them a compliment and strike up a conversation. I remember when she would go to AA meetings in Over the Rhine, because she "liked the people there", even though Dad expressed his concerns over this on multiple occasions. But Mom never got scared in any situation (maybe she should have been sometimes), because she had this confidence about her and the belief that every person deserved a chance. Whitney has this same confidence and is ever the social butterfly. As everyone knows, she was never a shy child, and I think most of my childhood friends came over to see her more than me! Whitney has Mom's ability to draw people to her and make them her friends. I think it takes a special kind of person to move all the way to the coast, away from family and friends to pursue her dreams. Furthermore, the adventures she has experienced are definitely intimidating to most, but Whit takes everything in stride. A part of me envys both our mom Whitney for always being who they want to be, even if that wasn't popular or the social norm.

Mom would have been so jealous that Whitney spends so much time at the beach! She quite the sun goddess herself, and was never more at home that laying out in the sun by the pool or the ocean. Even when Mom got sick, her caretaker Tammy took her to the beach in Florida. Tammy said that when Mom felt the sand under her feet, she took off for the ocean! I am sure this surprises none of us! This love for all things sun and sand seems to be biologically imprinted on Whitney's DNA as well. With a major of marine science, she has developed related passions for scubadiving and marine research. Whitney is a free spirit, just like Mom, and she goes where life takes her.

Of course, in addition to all of the amazing internal qualities, Whitney shares our mom's physical beauty and grace. Sometimes, I look at Whitney as all I can see is Mom. From the easy smile to the sparkling (and sometimes mischievous) eyes, Whitney is Mom made over. Mom had model good looks, with her blond hair and tanned skin, and people definitely took notice when she walked into a room. Whitney has that something that make you take notice, and everyone wants to be her, be with her, or be her friend. But what a rarity to find two such beautiful women that have brains and opinions and tons of personality!

I know Whitney doesn't remember that much about the good times with Mom, and I just wanted her to know that there were a lot of amazing qualities about her that everyone loved. There was this light inside her that touched every single person she met, and Whitney has that too. I know that I am a lot like my mom in a lot of ways, too. But I think I will save that for a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment