Monday, June 8, 2009

Crazy Cat Ladies


The Three Stooges


My Blue Angel :)


So, I have sort of been saving this post for a special time because it is very near and dear to my own heart. As I have mentioned before, my sister is so much like Mom that everyone sees the similarities. But I feel that I have had to dig a little deeper sometimes to realize her likeness in myself. However, there are certain similarities that are ridiculously obvious, such as our shared love of cats, Siamese or "Meezers" in particular. Most of my friends already refer to me as the crazy cat lady because I have three little furballs of my own. I spent my childhood looking forward to visits to my mom's parents' house because I could spend the entire time with their cats! I was never allowed to have a cat because my dad despised them, so I had to live vicariously through other people's cat ownership. My Mamaw had two cats when I was young, and their names were Jess and Tonk. Jess was a chocolate point Siamese and Tonk was a Blue Russian mix. They were in love with each other, and I was in love with them. There actually used to be four cats, two were my mom's and two were Mamaw's. My mom had two Siamese cats, Jess and a blue point Siamese named Jay. Now, Jay was something of a legend. Mom used to talk about how he would eat food right out of her mouth because he was so pushy. He loved corn and mushrooms in particular. Mom used to have a large milk can and Jay had a stuffed frog that was kept in the can. He used to climb in there and actually fish it out, acrobat that he was! Uncle Rex used to say Jay hated him (and everyone but my mom and Papaw for that matter), except when he would be in the shower or getting dressed for work. Jay once fell into the shower and scratched up Rex's legs until he found his way out. When Rex had his work pants on, Jay would wind himself around his ankles and leave a hair trail all over his pants. Typical smart alec cat! Jess was somewhat more subdued, although my right thigh does bear a half-moon scar from where I picked her up and she scratched me trying to get free.



Now, those who know me well know that I have many similar stories with my own furry friends. Three days after moving out of my Dad's house for good, I went to the animal shelter and came home with my first cat, a lynx point Siamese named Bella. Then we decided to get a second, and went to the shelter about ten months later and found Cyrus, a chocolate point who looks just like Jess. My most recent, and maybe most special, is Blue Lou, my blue point. Other than missing one of his legs, he looks just like Jay, Mom's favorite baby. Lou is also a pushy little begger who tries to eat the food right out of my mouth! Every single time I look at him, I think of how Mom would have adored him. Blue points are hard to find, and when I saw him on Petfinder, I had to at least go meet him. I knew that having three cats would be a little much, but how could I not get a cat that looked just like Jay? Well, Lou has been a welcome addition to my family, and is probably the most well-behaved of the bunch. He is very affectionate, and he always has something to talk about (Meezers are very talkative, and they sound almost like human babies). Even though my family is complete, I still look at Siamese cats on Petfinder, and it breaks my heart to see these beautiful cats in the shelters. I love them so much, and lot of that is due to my mom's special love for them as well. It is particularly sad for me that Mom never got to meet any of my cats because I know how much she would have enjoyed them, but they will forever remind me of that piece of her.
I have to find pics of Mom's cats to put on here because I know I have them somewhere!

2 comments:

  1. So Donna gets blamed because you are crazy? I don't think that's really fair... :) Just kidding. You know I love the kitties...especially my Bella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I hate cats!!! But I guess they are cute sometimes.

    ReplyDelete