Saturday, June 13, 2009

Thinking Of You, Mom


As you know, I was in Mackay last week and I had the opportunity to see so much while I was there. I just put up pictures of Kai's farm, Katee's boyfriend lives on this beautiful piece of land with horses, a cockatoo, and dogs and cats galore. It reminded me of my mom immediately. Just the atmosphere of being on a farm is intoxicating for me. I love being in the middle of nowhere with the smell of grass and horses all around you. This was always something I enjoyed in Williamstown at my mom's farm. We always used to take treats down to the horses and I would love to feel their smooth peach fuzz noses on my hand. My entire life, I have loved to be outside. Marine Science is obviously perfect for people that love the outdoors because you are always doing something outside or underwater for that matter. I consider myself to be a nature lover, tree hugger, whatever you want to call it and I believe my mom was the same way. I didn't have a problem with getting my hands dirty at the farm, I loved to help feed the horses and I would love to ride bare back, I always felt so free. I felt that my mom was really herself in Williamstown because having a place to call her own with horses, and the whole get up was always what she dreamed of. Water sports weren't really her thing because I remember gunning it on the jet ski and she about had a heart attack and kept asking me to slow down. Either way, my love of water came from both my mom and dad.

In Mackay, I really missed her a lot, being around all the things she loves so much. It made me want her there to see all the things I did, and just to be with me. In the distance, you could see the beautiful mountains surrounding everything and the wide open fields were beautiful with all the sugar cane growing. It also reminded me of Indiana in a way minus the mountains and the sugar cane (replace it with corn). I feel like being in the country will always remind me of her and I think it is going to be the hardest thing for me to cope with when she's gone. I will be flooded with memories every time I'm near a farm or country town, but it will always bring a smile to my face because I know she's glad I turned out the way I did. I can't wait to tell her about Australia. Even though she won't be able to respond, I know she will be excited right along with me and she will love to hear my stories because she always has. I love that I can share my thoughts with you all.

I'll always be thinking of you, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment