Monday, October 5, 2009

Something in the Way She Moves...

This was brought on by a completely random thing that I did today. I had a piece of chocolate and it was one of those delicious ones with the melting center. I was moving it between my tongue and roof of my mouth, and the way that my face looked I imagined was a lot like Mom's when she would eat something she was savoring. When she would taste something and she was trying to figure out what flavor or spice was in it, she would mull it around in her mouth and screw up her face in concentration. This is what I imagined my face to look like with the chocolate. Often, I will catch myself doing little things like that, and I will start laughing at the idea of her doing the same. Other times, when I am being silly, I will say or do a certain thing that will trigger a memory. Today, I was playing with Ruby, and she knocked me over. I just burst into laughter, called her a little monkey, and told her "don't!"(pronounced d-ah-nt) just like my mom would have. She laughed about everything, and I can just see her horsing around with Whitney and me even in Williamstown. It's funny because the person who picked up on these little things first was Ron. He spent a lot of time with Mom, and anytime I was being silly with him or the animals, he would say "Ok, Donna!" I don't think I would have really noticed this about myself if he wouldn't have pointed it out. I am fascinated by the fact that things as subtle as a laugh or a face can actually be passed down through generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment