Monday, October 26, 2009

Is there anything better than a swing?

Today I spent a while at the park with Maria and Brian (aka cutest godson ever). We went down the slides and we climbed up the steps several times. When Brian ran over to the swings, I got really excited since I hadn't been on the swings in about a decade! I put him on my lap and started to go. Eventually B wanted down, and Maria took him over to the baby swings. I couldn't help but linger a while on the "big kid swings". I swung my legs and it took me higher and higher. And then randomly, I thought of Mom. This seemed like the very thing she would have enjoyed immensely. There was something free and uninhibited in swinging that I am sure my mom would have just loved. I wish I was able to remember ever being on a swing with my mom, but I confess, I am not. Mom enjoyed the simple things in life, and maybe those were the only places it was available to her. Sometimes, I know that these thoughts just come to me and it must be written on my face. People probably think I am crazy, out there on the swings just grinning ear to ear. But it is in those moments that I see Mom the most. My mother, who wasn't afraid to be the only adult on the swings, laughing all the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment